CANNABIS LEGISLATIVE FRAMEWORK IN GREECE
Cannabis. The misunderstood plant that has been banned in our country is looking to the future.
Cannabis is a healing herb that can be found in all parts of the planet. Used for medical purposes from the depths of centuries , with scientific evidence demonstrating that the use of it dates up to 5 or 6 thousand years back .
Both the possession and use of cannabis in Greece were considered banned since 1936 . This ban coincided with the same period in which an entire campaign against the plant was launched in America , as it was presented to the public as something that deceived youth into death and characterized it as a satanic herb.
The truth, of course, could not be further from it.
Device for the production of finished hemp pharmaceutical products
In particular, Article 1 of the Law introduces an exception to paragraph 2 of Article 2 of Law 4139/2013 “On Addictive Substances and Other Provisions” , which deals with cannabis varieties of Cannabis Sativa L containing tetrahydrocannabinol ( THC) under than 0.2%.
According to Law 4523/2018 published in Government Gazette 41 / A / 7-3-2018 , the following was decided:
‘The production, possession, transport, storage, supply of raw materials and substances of cannabis varieties of Cannabis Sativa L , tetrahydrocannabinol ( THC ) content not exceeding 0,2%, as well as the installation and operation shall be unanimously approved. processing plant and processing of finished hemp medicinal products for the sole purpose of either supplying the State monopoly and making it available for medical purposes or exporting it. “
With the exception established by law and is given the opportunity to natural and legal persons, to produce hemp type Cannabis Sativa L , which is content to tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) under the 0.2% , with the sole purpose of producing final products pharmaceutical cannabis to supply the state monopoly and placing them into patients or exportthem for medical and only purpose.
What are the benefits of legislation
- Patients in our country will have access to the final products of cannabis medicinal products after having proven their therapeutic properties in a wide range of diseases and diseases. Veterinary access to cannabis final products will follow the rules of the state monopoly and the formulations will be administered on a two-level medical prescription under doctor’s responsibility.
- Natural and legal persons will be able to cultivate cannabis varieties for the processing of raw materials for the sole purpose of producing finished cannabis medicinal products. Thus natural and legal persons will invest in securing both the site and the establishment of cultivation and processing facilities
- New jobs are created that will contribute to the country’s economic development, taking advantage of the productive advantages of the country
- By exporting cannabis finished products, economic benefits are generated. This is due to the fact that the global market for the cultivation and processing of medicinal cannabis is in the early stages of development and thus supply is significantly lagging behind global demand.
Somewhere here worth mentioning that Greece is one of the last countries of the European Union which took the decision to take that big step and modernize the legislation of on the medical use of cannabis .
In the European Union , the use of medical cannabis is recognized in more than 14 countries, including:
The first legal cannabis crops
The cultivation of industrial-spinning hemp was possible in our country in 2016 , after signing the Common Ministerial Decree concerning the terms and conditions of cultivation of Cannabis varieties for industrial use with content to tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) up to 0.2%.
- Fibers for ropes
From the woody mass of the plant, the following can be produced:
- Insulation materials and building materials
The seeds of cannabis are the raw material for products:
- Pet food
- Bird feed (cannabis)
What is the case with cannabidiol (CBD)
Finally, it is worth mentioning that the substance of cannabidiol , also known as CBD . Cannabidiol has gained worldwide interest and is one of the essential ingredients of the cannabis plant.
There are hundreds of well-documented scientific studies that prove its enormous contribution to the treatment of serious illnesses and diseases . Both physical and mental .
The cannabidiol is a substance perfectly legal in our country. Specifically, cannabidiol (CBD) is not included in the drug list and as long as it does not contain the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content above the legal 0.2% , it is legal .
In conclusion, we can say that legalization of cannabis for medicinal and medical purposes is a decisive step in the right direction and one step closer to pan-European and global standards.
Most important, however, is the opportunity given to thousands of patients to be able to use cannabis legally in order to find effective relief from the health problems they face on a daily basis.